Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 2023 11:11:45 -0400
From:         Vincent Dow <ianvincentdow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird going-ons!
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Thanks for the replies. The connection with other owners is alleviating my discouragement.

My van is a 1982 air-cooled, manual transmission. It was converted to a 1994 Subaru 2.2 by the previous owner. It's an oddball with lots of hack underneath to make it water-cooled (no spare tire tray, radiator *maybe* from Subaru donor car, steel exhaust pipes for coolant lines, cut out grill in front) Its name is MODESTO. But it's a hard-working beast. It's done Montreal-Los Angeles EIGHT TIMES. With no problems.

I'm having to accept that the brakes need a full rehab: Hoses, seals, calipers, fluid... When I bought this van I lived in Los Angeles, and had a driveway/carport, so no problem was so big that I couldn't deal with it eventually. But now, since my daughter was born 4 years ago, I'm in Montreal, and there's very little space to lay up a vehicle. If I can get to it soon enough I'll move it up north to our family place, and remove all the brake parts, bring them back to Montreal, and rebuild them in my back shed. But there's no garage up there in St. Sauveur QUE. The van will be outside, and thus I'll be working outside. Weather changes fast here. (before that happens) I have to start with new radiator/hoses/thermostat/prestone in the 1998 Subaru, so I have at least one car that moves. This is a challenging time. I've had my van since 2009 and it's brought us to some incredibly special places. My daughter loves it. Our dog loved it. I LOVE IT (always loved VW vans since my childhood in Tahoe riding in bay window busses) But it's getting hard to hold onto it. The steepening curve of van-issues vs. the dropping curve of my time and available concentration. When those lines cross, the van might have to go. Appeciate you all very much Love, vinnie

I finished renovating a 120 year-old wood cornice yesterday. 28' up. I spent four 10/hr. days in a boom lift\. It was gnarly, and we're in a heatwave ("feels like 105 degrees")