Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:59:48 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: break vs. brake
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

I thought I had sent my original comment to Eric privately, and not to the list. I apologize to the list. And thank you, Rat.

BTW, my wife had an uncle who actually went by the name "Rat", with no qualifiers at all. As a child, she (and she alone, her siblings and cousins called him "Uncle Rat") she was put off by the associations, and called him "Uncle Cat." Many in her father's family had a range of unusual nicknames. My father-in-law was called "Preacher," ostensibly because as a child he played with the local minister's daughter. There was a "Goosy," a "Tiny, and a "Gin" (the last because she picked cotton so rapidly). These nicknames stayed with them until they died, and many people never heard their actual names.