Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:45:10 -0500
From:         Skip L <skiplaubach@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Early 84 sliding door mechanism - need a part!
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net>

HI Eric

First let me say thank you for your frequent contributions to this site (I read all posts, but rarely reciprocate)! Your enthusiasm and friendliness on the site (and you're not the only one) makes this site great!

Second, I just ordered the Operating Cam from Bus Depot, so I should search *all *of our vendors first before posting, so the APB is cancelled.

Third, I have some spare parts for the 1.9, as my original rebuild (2011) consisted of getting two cores with all externals (plus my own), so let me know what you may be looking for and I may have it. BTW, I'm located in a far western suburb of Chicago. Re AFM, I bought a rebuilt one from GoWesty (not that my original was bad, I'm just more of a "replacist" rather than a "rebuilter". I have the old one if you would like it and I had no reason to believe that it's bad. Best thing I ever did for the engine was to buy a new wiring harness from the good guy in Ohio (name slips me).

For you (or anyone on this list), I'm happy to provide parts for free (I can ship from my office with your FedEx or UPS acct. number (or you could email me your FedEx/UPS label (create one online))).

Now, it's been awhile since I've trouble-shot a "searching idle", so open to some suggestions. For background, my rebuilder is a renowned air-cooled guy (he rebuilds engines for the "American Pickers" personal collections). He timed the engine up, but couldn't eliminate the "searching idle". He closed off the "retard". Not sure if the issue is a vacuum leak or otherwise. Any ideas anyone (if you're still reading...).

Kind regards,

Skip