Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:51:12 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Vanagon 4 Speed 2WD Shaft Bearing Bushing
Comments: To: Geoffrey Toye <geoffreytoye@GMAIL.COM>

Do not need to remove the tank.

’82 Diesel.

Obtain replacement bushing. (Vanagain.com <http://vanagain.com/> IIRC Yup. https://www.vanagain.com/product/center-shift-bushing)

Remove spare tire.

Remove shift rod.

Laying on the spare tire tray,

Remove worn bushing if it’s still there. (Mine wasn’t.)

Cut replacement bushing lengthwise so you can roll it into the hole. (it's a reach, but doable)

Roll the new bushing into the hole. Twist it around so the cut you made is on top.

Reassembly is as they say, the reverse of removal.

Did not drop tank!

Worked for me. Took a couple hours, but dropping the tank would have taken 2x that.

Jim