Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:49:08 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westfalia - Running hot?

I looked at the list and saw my reply to Bruce Todd CCd to the list got converted to a string of ASCII. So - I'll send this direct and see what happens. Stan suggested that I need to compare the input and output end of the catalytic converter, which I will do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went for a drive, outside temps in the high 50s Came back with the temp gauge reading just above the LED. The catalytic converter read 430-500° at various spots. The exhaust pipe going into it read 470° and the OEM muffler 180-200°.

Raised the front a few inches and let things cool down a bit. The inside coolant tank is full, the overflow tank at the Max level. Started the engine and opened the bleeder valve on the radiator. Immediately started dribbling fluid, no sign of air. Ran up the engine, came back around front, still coolant coming out so I closed it down.

Used the IR thermometer to check various temps as the gauge ran up to above the LED.

Top of the radiator, about 115 on the passenger side, 110 on the drivers side. In the engine compartment, looking towards the front the hoses coming into and out of the thermostat housing read about 190, except for the large one on the lower left, about 200°.

The top of the thermostat housing read about 125°. The water pump at the bearing read 185°

Now the temp gauge at about 7/8ths.

Radiator fan came on, top of radiator near bleed screw read 150, but dropped quickly back to 120°, lower on the drivers side. Cracked the bleeder valve, immediately squirting coolant, closed it back.

It’s interesting that the coolant temps in the engine compartment are reading 190ish and the water pump housing a bit below that while the temp gauge on the dash is reading about 7/8. I didn’t get under the engine to see what the bottom of the thermostat housing near the sender was reading.

Is any of this useful?

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f@hotmail.com

Civilization is not something inborn or imperishable; it must be acquired anew by every generation.

- Will Durant