Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2023 17:54:02 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <mark@MARKMCCULLEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westfalia - Running hot?
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>

Driving up steep grade in lower gear, higher rpm will make a healthy stock Vanagon overheat eventually. That’s my experience. I monitor oil temperature and pull over before oil temp gets to 250F. This occurs before engine overheats enough to trigger flashing coolant light. A climb of 3000 ft or so is enough to get oil temp to 250. I don’t push it, just pull over and take in the view, take my time.

I think your van is likely OK, just need to stay aware of its limitations and heed any warnings.

-Mark