Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Dec 2023 20:16:18 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Mystery starting issue 85 auto

Hi listers,

I’m hoping folks can help.

Today, roads clear of salt I took the bus for a run to Keen NH about 20 miles away.

After a visit to Harbor freight, got to love this new adjustable socket wrench, we tried to start the van to leave.

The van seemed to start, and then immediately died.

This kept happening.

I called my local mechanic that had recently done some work. He thought vacuum issue and I checked hoses.

His wife then offered to drive over and check out the issue and do a video call if needed.

So, we waited for about 15 minutes in 35 degrees weather.

We, let the van cool to see if that might make a difference.

When My mechanic’s better half arrived she checked hoses, and connections, all looked good. She checked both on and under the van.

We then tried to start the van…

And, it started.

Nothing seemed wrong.

But, we didn’t turn it off incase it didn’t start.

We drove to mechanic, and things seemed to look good over all.

We noted one issue I’ll mention separately.

We made a plan, I would take it home, and if it doesn’t start when hot I would bring it back in the Spring to have this addressed.

So, we drove it home. And, I tried to start the van once it was safe in the garage.

And…

No start. It starts, but rather then idling it dies. And, I mean dies like the key is turned off.

When van is completely cooled down it might take two tries, but the van starts, idles and runs fine.

This is a GW 2.3 with GW engine management.

I’d love to figure this out before spring.

So, any suggestions from folks as to what to look for or try?

Eric Caron 85 Auto GW 2.3