Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:53:22 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Got my replacement diesel dipstick--happy
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

I have purchased body panels from the UK for less than I could buy them in the USA, and they were coated with an anti rust solution.  The USA ones were bare metal. Dave B.the Boston one On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 06:37:16 PM EST, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: I was advised by the US list vendors that it would be a long wait for any German-sourced dipsticks for my 1983 factory vanagon diesel, and that the price before shipping would be about $35. Then, someone on this list posted that I should try Brickwerks in the UK. I found the item I needed for under four pounds! Shipping was just 12 USD. So I got the item plus shipping for about $20 USD. Not bad. It arrived in a week or maybe six days.

The Royal Mail has a good thing going with the US post office. I most often by my oil painting brushes from the UK. They cost the same as the low-end brushes sold through US vendors, yet they are hand made and considered some of the best in the world. I get tracking all the way to my home, and I get them in the same time or less than I would get an order from a US supplier.

Check out Brickwerks for hard-to-find Vanagon items. I'd say this dipstick I got from them is 95 percent of a VW OEM item. It seems to be just a bit stiffer than the original and about 1/2 mm wider, so it is not as easy to slide down the tube. As for accuracy, we will see how it compares with the OEM when I do my next oil change in a few weeks. I can always file new marks. The seal at the handle is better than the original.

Jim