Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2024, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 2024 17:31:03 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Driver's side handle success  and related request

It was a long time coming.

I gathered parts about two years ago. I thought I’d have a friend help install the driver side handle as I was nervous about getting the holes correct and not catching the wires in the a pillar.

Now that my wife has a foot injury that handle is extra important to have on the automatic van.

I got up my curragh and gathered tools. I had my wife read the directions that came with the GW kit.

I had both the GW kit, and an original passenger side set up with handle and the two wedges.

I opted for the GW as it seemed more blind person friendly.

I got the two outer screws done and the handle went into a perfect place. OK, I had to stretch it just a tiny bit to get the screw in. I then tapped a mark with hammer and punch in the second holes and drilled with handle in place. That went great.

I sweated bullets putting holes in the van.

Job done, and I dare you to prove a blind guy did it!

But lets talk screws for a moment, The handle I used was a door handle slightly different then the stock step handle.

It used a number 12 screw and a number 8. Stock used two number 12.

So what are the most common screw sizes on the vanagon, and is there an assortment at NAPA or Amazon, that has the main sizes? I’m always scrambling for the correct head and screw sizes.

Eric Caron 85 with two door entry assist handles 84 with two door assist entry handles