Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2024, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:04:43 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Gas tank replace question

Hi folks,

So, my 84 smells like gas. I had the plan of doing a fuel tank reseal this winter. So here are the questions.

Van has 248,000 mils. Original tank. Lived in the south most of its life.

Should I just reseal original tank if not rusty on the out side? Or, should I replace with new one with larger outlet?

If a new one. What is the top choice these days? Still the Spectrum from Amazon?

I have sealed the evaporation tanks and I’m sure the seals on the fuel tank are tired. Smell of gas is in the front. Other question. I have a sender seal and the original sender from my 85 that worked fine when removed. The current sender is working.

Should I replace the fuel sender, with a new one or just the O ring?

Another option is to purchase a tank from my local VW bus person and have him pressure test and possibly undercoat it for me before I do the install. I could even let him install the sender. Cost goes up but the tank is probably less likely to fail.

Your thoughts wanted.

Eric Caron