Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2024, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2024 19:05:40 +0200
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      semi-OT: Anyone with DETAILED knowledge about 5HP19 Audi trans?

Hi Guys, I am trying to fix my Audi-powered Vanagon with 5HP19 auto gearbox. Engine and trans are basically seized after 20+ years, so I used a donor A6 to replace both (tested a few days: they are okay). After moving my reversal gears to the new trans, Vanagon runs, drives (kind of, I think needs more trans fluid, since 3rd to 5th dont´drive anything ). I think I can get this fixed by bleeding with all gears shifted through on a hoist.

However: The reversal gears are loud as hell, a speed-dependent whine. The old gearbox had this a little, but not that bad. I think it´s the tension of those gears and their seating rings (is that the correct term?!). Maybe too loose or to tight.

Question: Does anyone know how to align the tension of these bearings in their housing? It must work similarly to aligning the Vanagon diff bearing tension. But there is no way of doing it while it´s assembled. How did ZF do it? All repair manuals show the internals of the planetary stuff and torque converter, but never the middle gears and/or diff. I know there are alignment shims available, but how to determine which is needed?

Any help is appreciated, autotrans reapir shops are useluss in Germany.

Regards Raimund