Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2024, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 4 Jul 2024 11:20:16 -0400
From:   Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   Re: The Death of My Beloved
Comments:   To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

Hi John,

I’m very sorry to hear this happened. I know you have been a long term lover of the vanagon. I share your spirit. Still I know there will come a time I need to let mine go. But, sometimes I think it is time and yet I soldier on.

I’m sure this is a terrible shock. I’d recommend you take your time. Maybe the van is done, or maybe it can get a new roof and interior parts. All depends on the body damage and insurance company.

I also, ask, that if they total it consider seeing if you can keep the salvage. A a person with good skills and little money may be able to put it back on the road. I know VW bus people like that.

Also, recently, a friends clean healthy Westfalia was totaled by a semi. He kept the salvage and with the insurance purchased a replacement Westfalia. He then found lots of folks in need of Westfalia parts, and for minimal cost handed out tons of hard to find parts from his totaled van. My vans are both healthier because of him. He had the real old VW sharing philosophy.

So, there may be a silver lining to your situation. I know lots of folks with good vanagon skills and good roofs, but rusted out bodies. Hopefully yours can be fixed and even get a nice paint job. But if not. Someone is likely able to invest many hours to bring it back.

I’m a optimist.

John, thank you for the years of stories, advice, and VW bus spirit. And also for keeping the memory of Uncle Joel strong.

Warmly,

Eric Caron