Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Apr 94 11:24:52 EDT
From:         drew@sunrise.com (Drew Jenkins)
Subject:      Re: Synchro exhaust options

Joel responded to my query:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 94 13:13:55 CDT Drew Jenkins said: > >I need to replace the exhaust system on my 86 Synchro. It needs > >replacement from the headers out. > >Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement system? For > >example, should I just buy one at the dealer or will a 914 2.0 exhaust > >fit? > > uhhhh... i don't think anything off a 914 will fit the water-boxer engines. > the cylinders are closer together on the bus. now the air-cooled vanagons > of 1980-1983 might be able to get away with using 914 components. > joel >

Thanks Joel. As usual, your advice is right on the mark and I appreciate both your passion and knowledge of Vanagons.

For the sake of providing additional Vanagon information and knowledge, I will describe what was done to repair my exhaust system.

First, I think the advice that was given a couple days ago (or was it weeks?) regarding finding a mechanic first and *then* look for your Vanagon should not be overlooked. Vanagons will run tremendously *if*, and this is a big if, the fuel injection system is properly tuned. This means all injectors, sensors and the like. These engines really can purrrrr so nicely if all is right. It takes a very qualified mechanic witgh proper equipment to pull this off. Some owners may fit into what I call the "qualified" category, but if most other owners are like me, I need a good mechanic. Fortunately, I have such a mechanic.

That said, lets get to my recent repair experience with the Vanagon. It has 97k and the original exhaust system. I brought it in because the Vanagon had exhibited a loss of HP at acceleration and highway speeds. I needed to keep it floored to maintain 60-65 mph on the interstate.

My mechanic initially diagnosed the problem as a block in the exhaust but he would know after he measured the back pressure in the exhaust. After he measured it, sure enough, the back pressure was 14-17 PSI when it should be 0-3 PSI. So his initial diagnosis was correct.

Since the vehicle had the orginal exhaust, he wanted to price an entire exhaust system replacement including the headers. He was very surprised to find that the retail cost from the dealer for this was $2183!!!

Needless to say, this was an exhorbitant price so he started to check other options. He could find a muffler from Walker for $147 and a catalytic converter from Maremeont for $220. So far so good. But after calling all his header suppliers, noone stocked or made the headers for the Vanagon. (This mechanic is also a hot rod builder so he works with the big name exhaust firms such as Ansa and Monza so I know he did a thorough search).

Since the headers were in decent shape with minor stress cracks where they coonected to the exhaust system, he decided to repair them. The repair options were:

1. Bead blast, tig weld the cracks, paint the headers with header paint.

or

2. Bead blast, tig weld the cracks, send the header to a hot rod specialty house to have it dipped and coated.

Since the turn around on option 2 was six days, and I leave tomorrow for Cape Hatteras, I chose option 1. The exhaust system is now all back together and should hopefully last another 100K.

My mechanic said we could get away with this type of repair because German made exhausts have a higher content of nickel and chromium. This means they wear out much slower than either American or Japanese manufactured exhausts. Anyone care to comment on this statement?

While he had the Vanagon, he replaced the coolant temp sensor. This is interesting because I told him there was a recent thread about this topic on our mailing list.

He also discovered the alternator bracket had cracked. With the location of the alternator, it apparently has a tendency to flex, especially when the engine doesn't idle perfectly.

It is easy for anyone to see when the alternator bracket has cracked. Beside the obvious, (looking for the crack), the alternator will vibrate much more than the engine when the idle is fluctuating if the bracket is cracked. The repair is either replace the bracket, or weld the crack.

So, the Vanagon is running tremendous, and my wife and I are taking off for a windsurfing vacation to Cape Hatteras tommorrow. :-)**2

BTW, if anyone in the Rhode Island area, or any other area for that matter, would like the name of this mechanic, it is: John Conti, 401-781-5770, Cranston RI.

Pray for Wind.

Drew Jenkins drew@sunrise.com