Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Apr 94 15:42:55 GMT
From:         William Warburton <william@festival.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: 5-cyls in a Vanagon? Which ones?

Hi,

> A recent post mentioned something about a 5-cylinder engine in a later > vanagon. Is this a stock engine for the later models?

The newer, front engined, vans can have a five cylinder diesel engine fitted. I wouldn't expect there to be any backward compatibility with the waterboxer engines. Is there a five cylinder petrol engine available in the US?

> ... I always felt > that my 77 bus with the 2.0l 4 was pretty underpowered...

Hmm, the 2.0 litre vans that I drove were plenty powerful enough for me. They would easily manage over 80mph in UK trim, maybe they were much worse when kitted out for the US market?

> ... I think a vanagon with the Audi > 5, especially the turbo version with ~165 bhp would be pretty reasonable.

Hmm, maybe you should look at the custom conversions that put 911 flat sixes into vanagons, I suspect that VW don't have plans to put anything that powerful into their vans but then what do I know? :-)

Maybe VW will try to compete with the Renault Espace, I can see the advertising already...

< Camera pans across rugged mountain landscape, an incredibly twisty road devoid of traffic is being negotiated by a short-wheelbase front-engined transporter with a windsurfer strapped to the roof, a stunningly beautiful woman and an impossibly cute child in the passenger seat and a group of exquisitely tailored businessmen chatting in the rear.>

*fade up ethereal music, reminiscent of Clannad being played on Didgeridoos*

"A *new* concept in sports-recreation, an executive vehicle with *space* for a boardroom or a family car with *exciting* performance...The new Transporter GTI from Volkswagen is all of these and more! With it's close ratio gearbox and VR6 engine the Transporter GTI features mindblowing acceleration, it's lowered and stiffened suspension promises spirited handling and the 16" alloy wheels with low-profile tyres offer tenacious grip!

"Open your mind to the versatility of the Transporter GTI, the new sportsvan from Volkswagen!"

< Camera pans out from van arriving at luxury hotel, windsurfers are visible pulling barrel rolls in the background despite total absence of wind in the plam trees. >

*fade out*

Actually, I rather like the idea, maybe Porsche could contribute to a Transporter RS2? A transporter Quattro turbo? A transporter coupe?

Nah!