Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 07 Apr 1994 11:49:25 EDT
From:         cchubb@ida.org (Chris Chubb)
Subject:      Re: Tuning Problems

>From: James Wallace <jwallace@uoguelph.ca> >Subject: Re: Tuning Problems > Hi again Chris. Just read your message re., carb/dist. probs. I >rebuilt a 34 pict 3 to practice before rebuilding my prog. Weber. Can I >suggest looking in yards for the Weber prog. carb? A manifold for it >shouldn't run more than $40 new. Early to mid-70's Ford cars have this >carb, like pinto's, bobcat's mustang and capri. The rebuild kits are about >$10, and easy to do. You will need a few new jets though. I'll look > Funny you should mention this, but I do happen to have a webber progressive that a guy gave me. I have the manifold, the carb, and not much else. It needs to be rebuilt, and I have a list of about $35.00 for the rebuild kit. If you know anywhere that can get you one cheaper than that, I would love to hear it. I have though about the weber progressive before, but I have come up with some (mabye not unsurmountable) problems.

Some problems: The Bus requres a large vacuum port for the power brakes. I have seen some plumbing fixtures I may be able to tap the manifold and insert. The carb has no choke. It was torn out to make a race vehicle. Do I need it? Can I find a gummed up or broken weber prog. that had a choke? Do you know any specific models of cars that also used the weber prog. The jets are all wrong. Like I said, the jets are for wide open throttling. Do you know what the right jets would be for a 1600DP with single QP extractor? How much do jets cost? I need lots of torque for the Bus. Overhead clearance is an issue for the Bus. I have only about 4 inches of clearance above the stock carb. The stock aircleaner sits off to the right, and a tube goes over to the carb. How high will the progressive with aircleaner sit above the top of the case? Say from the top of the pully.

Can you think of any solutions to this problem?

--- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) __________________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the Institute \ \for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ -------------------------------------------------------------------------- | o | \\ // |Currently | ___ | Oo | /\, | \\ \\// // |Experiencing | (___)|_o | -|~(*)/ | \\//\\// |FarFromMovin'| //====--//(_) | (*) /-' | \/ \/ |'71 Bus | \\ ^