Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 1994 12:48:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:         nick mcree <mcree@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject:      '66 bus w/ flickering oil light

First, the vital info. I recently performed a rebuild (my first) on my '66 Westphalia (stock 1600 single-port, Pict-30, 009, oil cooler mounted on outside of fan shroud, towards the front [front is front], and an external oil filter). It has less than 100 miles on it. A bad thing happened to me today, and while I have been keeping up with the thread on hot oil I would like some specific suggestions for my predicament, if possible.

I was driving from Austin to San Antonio this morning, for the first extended trip on the new rebuild. It was cloudy and 75F. Humming along at 55mph, about 10 miles into the trip, and the oil light begins to flicker. I pull over, and let it cool. Plenty of oil. No bad noises. I decide to limp it back to Austin on the access road. The oil light stays out--unless the engine is at high rpms in third or fourth. I quickly figure to drive slowly, and the light stays out. Hmmm. Now she sits in my driveway, awaiting my attention.

This is the first time this problem has occured. During short trips to get the bus inspected, and to a friends to pick up my rear bumper, I have had no worries. She runs well, and I was just starting to feel proud of myself. I don't get it. No oil light unless a sustained load is placed on the engine, then "flicker."

Question one-- I am concerned that I do not have an air-flow thermostat. When I rebuilt the engine there was *no* control assembly for the air flaps to remove. I did not consider putting one on. I have read the posts on where it should be, and what it looks like, and its important role in keeping the engine cool. This could be a likely culprit, huh?

Question two-- *If* this is indeed the problem, what is your opinion concerning removing the shroud and simply *scrapping* the whole air control flap assembly? Remember, I am currently in Texas--there is not much of a cold-start problem here.

Question three-- Apparently, the carb and timing settings are crucial in helping keep the engine cool. I would just about bet my ass that I have the carb and timing set properly. Just to make sure, though, let me tell you that I have the timing set at 7.5 BTDC, and it seems to run fine--no pinging, smooth acceleration. Your insight?

Thanks for the help. I am cross-posting this on the vanagon list, and rec.autos.vw.

Nick McRee '66 Westy (sick) '73 Thing (well)