Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 1994 09:16:42 -0600 (CDT)
From:         dunham@mpd.tandem.com (Jerry Dunham)
Subject:      Re: Hatch struts

]From vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Sat Apr 9 22:23:00 1994 ]From: jgladu@bcm.tmc.edu (John Gladu) ] ] ]I got the locking-side model at Apec, here in Houston. I just called him ]about this - he didn't even understand what "mail-order" meant, but upon ]explanation he said he could do that. He only stocks the "locking" model. ]Our local dealer was asking about $65 for this strut, and I Jorg has it for ]under $30. ] ]Apec Foreign Parts Inc. ]727 Yale ]Houston, TX 77007 ] ](713) 880-0988 ]The guy who works the counter's name is Jorg (pronounced "Yorg" - he'll ]take your order in German, if you'd like :-). ] ]> The first time I replaced one, the parts guy asked me ]> if it was right or left side! They appear identical, ]> so I pulled both off and held the tailgate up with my ]> head while I "tested" each strut to identify the ]> weaker one (at that price I didn't want to replace both ]> since the gate was just sagging slowly). ] ]The left and right struts are different. The right strut has a "locking" ]feature in its valve mechanism. Apparently, that is some kind of ]mechanical lock that you can defeat by pulling down on the hatch, but ]strong enough to hold the hatch up -> while taking the load off the ]pressurized part of the strut.

Is there any reason not to use the locking type on both sides? I see that your source there in Houston only carries the locking one, which kinda im- plies that they don't see a need to carry the other kind. I'm 'bout due to replace mine (the Pep Boys ones on there now only lasted a year) and would just as soon put the same on both sides if there's no reason not to. I could pick up a pair at Apec the next time I'm in Houston (about four weeks from now). If I recall correctly from the last time I replaced these, they looked identical, even though they were marked "left" and "right". I can't recall Pep Boys' price (although I could look it up if anyone is interested for comparison), but I sure can't recommend them.

-- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jerry Dunham, MSE hoosier@rider.cactus.org (512)244-8598 Tandem Computers, Inc. dunham@mpd.tandem.com Integrity Systems Division dunham_jerry@tandem.com

"A healthy male adult bore consumes each year one-and-a-half times his own weight in other people's patience."

- J. Updike