Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 94 14:59:26 GMT
From:         William Warburton <william@festival.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: Sportsvans (sic)

> This is yet another van from VW, separate from the "Eurovan" (U.S. name)?

Yes. Not really a van, though, more like a car without a bonnet or boot. It is similar in concept to the Renault Espace and Toyota Previa.

> Local VW salesman says that the Eurovan is *not* selling. (I went in to say

Hmm, US market problems again. They are pretty popular here despite being more expensive than most of the competition.

> not particularly quiet). The salesman said that he'd skip the VR6 and go > with the work-horse (Audi) 5-cylinder, if it were up to him.

I've only driven the Audi-5 (diesel). What engines do you get in the US?

> Can we have the Vanagon back? (VW start manufacture again...) Are Vanagon's > still being made? Will the dies be shipped to Mexico and Brazil to bring > them into the '80s?

I don't think many people in Europe would want to see the Vanagon back. The Eurovan seems superior in almost every way- my only criticism is the lack of length in the interior which, in Europe, can be countered by buying the long wheelbase version (though that's more expensive on a ferry).

I think the root of the problem is that the van was designed for the European market, in which (as far as I know) it's being successful. While this policy has worked for VW in the past it doesn't seem to be working now. Given that VW probably don't have the necessary R&D effort to produce vehicles specifically for the US they seem to be stuck with modifying their existing lineup to meet US requirements and that doesn't seem to be working. Presumably since they are committed to remaining in the US they will either continue to become a niche manufacturer or the US buyer will start to appreciate what VW has to offer again. In my opinion what VW need to do is to sort out their perceived quality problems in the US (either by solving them or by changing the perception) and then start a serious marketing campaign to encourage people to buy the cars. VW seem to be perceived very differently by the buyer in the US and Europe and this is an issue which they need to address. Whether they do this by selling cars that meet the US expectations or by changing the US buyers perceptions to suit the cars they want to sell is an interesting issue.