Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 94 9:12:11 EDT
From:         huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jerry Huff)
Subject:      Re: Hunting idle, jerking bucking Vanagon woes!!!

> > Well, I bought the wiring harness fix last Friday (thought that it couldn't > hurt) and the Van now has gone into it's idle hunt mode twice on Saturday, > and twice today (Monday). It seems to be running better (when it runs > right). > > I'm seriously thinking about selling this thing to some unsuspecting soul > and getting something different (Golf ///?) > > What's going on??? Do I really have no other option than to replace the ECU > ($$$). > > I've replaced: > Air Flow Sensor > Fuel pressure regulator > Plug Wires ($$$) > Plugs > Oxygen Sensor > Fuel Filter > Air Filter > Oil and Filter > I've cleaned every ground I can find (Weeelll, now that I think of it I > havn't cleaned the front strap from the tranny to the frame, but I did clean > the one from the left head to the frame) > Fiddled with the idle stabilizer > > > The other thing that I was wondering about was those stupid throttle > switches... I tested them a while back, and at that time they were fine. I > priced them also... they were like $50 each!!! For a f*ckin microswitch. I > just assumed that if they were that expensive and they seemed o.k. I would > leave them alone. But now I am thinking along those routs again. > > > > Bottom line.... Has anyone else had this problem and FIXED it?????? > > If so what did you do???? Or did the dealer just finally get it right for > you by replacing the whole wiring harness?!? > > Thanks. I'm slightly annoyed!!! > >

I have not had this problem personally, but the fellow I just purchased my '84 Vanagon from went through it a couple of years ago. After replacing most of the things that you have on your list, per recommendations from various mechanics, he finally replaced the ECU and that fixed the problem. The old air flow meter came with the van since it is apparently in fine working order but he was unable to return it. If I was a betting man I would say it's your ECU.

-- Jerry Huff huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (919)248-6277 Data General Unix Software Development RTP, NC 27709