Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 1994 09:43:22 -0600 (CDT)
From:         dunham@mpd.tandem.com (Jerry Dunham)
Subject:      Re: Sportsvans (sic)

]From vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Tue Apr 12 03:47:06 1994 ]From: William Warburton <william@festival.ed.ac.uk> ] ] Hmm, I seem to have stirred things up a bit... oops!

You mean that wasn't the goal? :-)

]> I've only seen the Audi-5 (petrol). Is there a diesel here? ] ] I have heard that the diesel isn't available in the US, though I think it ]is sold in Canada. I gather diesels are generally unpopular in the US, at ]least for "normal" cars, but it still seems a bit wierd to me.

Diesels went through a period of popularity here about a decade and a half ago. Several manufacturers rushed to catch up with the sudden demand by modifying spark-ignition engines for diesel use, rather than design new engines from the ground up. Quite a few of these rushed efforts turned out to be VERY unreliable (the Oldsmobile/Cadillac efforts come to mind), and many buyers got the idea that diesels in passenger cars were by defi- nition unreliable in the extreme. The other problem is that diesel fuel isn't significantly cheaper here than petrol.

]> Putting the engine in front causes the machine to be ]> longer for the same internal hauling volume. It also drives putting the ] ] Yes, that's precisely what I meant about lack of length in the interior: the ]"brick" is long enough to get a <3 metre windsurfer behind the drivers seat ]whilst still being about 4.5 metres long overall. The new vans arn't.

Bingo!

]> ... If the ]> same effort that was put into the EuroVan had been put into a new genera- ]> tion of Vanagon, with perhaps a transverse five on it's side behind the ]> rear axle, the result could have added the advantages of the EuroVan to ]> the advantages the Vanagon already had, while making for greater common- ]> ality of parts with the rest of the VW-Audi line. The EuroVan may be nice ]> in many ways, but I think they blew an opportunity to make it even nicer, ]> and less of a clone of other machines already on the market. ] ] I see what you mean and I strongly suspect that this was considered by VW. ]Bear in mind, though, that a lot of potential buyers chose not to buy the VW ]because of the wierd shaped interior. I think VW decided that they would gain ]more by offering a van with a conventional layout than by continuing with ]the rear engine. I have to agree with you- I preferred the rear engined ]setup- but I think VW probably made the right decision having seen the large ]number of vans they are selling (in Europe).

Perhaps they would have been ahead of the game to come out with the new front-drive model for the Euromarket, while merely updating the Vanagon with a different drivetrain for the North American market. I can't be- lieve that development costs for putting a Passat drivetrain under the floor of a Vanagon would have been very great, and they might well have garnered more sales here in this market.

]> I don't think the EuroVan is any more "European" than the Vanagon. Both ]> are somewhat out of the minivan mainstream here in North America. If any- ] ] What exactly *is* a minivan?

A van that's not very big. :-)

Here in our market things have apparently developed differently from what you see on your side of the pond.

Originally, what most folks here thought of as vans were International Metros, Chevrolet StepVans, and Divcos. These things had the proportions of a house and weren't much smaller. They were designed for city deli- very and could even be driven standing up. Common uses were milk deli- very, bread delivery, tool and auto parts deliver, furniture delivery, etc. These were VERY industrial machines.

In the sixties we began to see the occasional VW buses more often, and people began to wonder if there might be something to this odd vehicle. The American manufacturers all took a shot at hitting the same target, with varying degrees of success. All built truck-based delivery vehicles that were of similar size and shape to the VW, and all found an immediate market with small businesses for whom the big vans were simply too much. Passenger versions also sprouted, but these were considerably less suc- cessful on the market because they were far too trucklike. Chevrolet also tried doing the same thing with the Corvair Greenbrier, which was a MUCH closer shot to the VW, including the air-cooled, rear-mounted boxer engine (but a six), and might well have been a success as a people mover but for getting a reputation as being unreliable.

Meanwhile, the "minivan" market was underway as a commercial market. All the major American players came out with long-wheelbase versions to give even more room for hauling stuff and these quickly became the big sellers. New generation machines moved the front wheels from behind the driver (VW-style) to in front of the driver and increased dimensions all around, while still being front-engined and rear-driven as all but the Greenbrier had been from the start. These larger vans gradually re- place most of the tall boxes people had previously known as vans and be- came the "standard van", available in two wheelbases and three lengths. Cab-only versions were made available for installation of larger camper or truck bodies. These things are still available here, sell large num- bers into the commercial markets, but sell much smaller numbers into the passenger van and small camper/motorhome markets. They are big, thirsty, and cumbersome.

Since the minivans of the sixties grew into the standard vans of the seventies and eighties, VW was left all alone (again) as the lone "mini" van until, in the early '80s, Chrysler came out with the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager twins. Unlike previous vans, these were built on auto, not truck, chassis, and drove more like a car than the big vans. They were similar in size to the VW, but lower and with less room. A commercial Dodge RamVan version has been available all along, but you hardly ever see them, while Caravans and Voyagers are EVERYwhere. This is apparently the car America was waiting for, a vehicle that drove like a car, had (some) style, and held as much (almost) as a small van. This became the definitive "minivan" here in the U.S.

Ford and GM answered with truck-based minivans of their own, but few were fooled. They were the same basic style as the Chryslers and held even more, but they drove like trucks. They sell well into the small commercial market, but make little dent in the people-mover market. GM came out with a series of auto-based people movers of their own, but Chrysler hardly noticed. The Japanese first hit with truck-based people movers that looked like slightly smaller VWs with a little more style, but they didn't fool anyone much either and were eventually replace with more car-like people movers (Toyota and Nissan) or dropped altogether (Mitsubishi). Through all this the VW continued to sell to a niche market of people who wanted the room of the American truck-based mini- vans without their industrial nature (and who would put up with the lack of power).

Today the volume markets for minivans are: people movers, owned by Chrysler but being attacked by Ford vigorously; and commercial, owned primarily by GM and Ford. The EuroVan comes across mechanically as a competitor to the front-drive, car-based people movers, but has the style of a commercial van. Since GM and Ford commercial vans can be bought (with V6s) for less than a EuroVan, VW hasn't much chance of taking that market, and it just lacks the style to take many sales from the Chrysler minivans in the people-mover market.

]> thing the Vanagon is further from the mainstream than the EuroVan, which ]> comes across as a somewhat industrial clone of the Dodge Caravan to many ]> non-VW people. ] ] The what? I think I've seen one Dodge Caravan. The competition for the VW ]are vans like the Ford Transit, Toyota HiAce, Renault Trafic and Fiat Ducato ]against which it is perceived as better built, nicer to drive and more ]reliable. The reason the camper conversions are popular is because VW ]continues to offer a high quality, pleasant to drive vehicle to use as a base ]for the conversion. The VW manages to sell into the "People Carrier" market ]as well (Espace/Previa) because of the relative sophistication of its vans.

Obviously a very different market.

]> I think the problems with the EuroVan are two: ]> ]> It's not perceived as enough different from the mainstream vans ]> for people to believe it offers any real advantage to compensate ]> for its lack of style. ] ] However, in Europe, this lack of difference is a major plus as it means that ]all the people who didn't buy it because they couldn't march a large load ]through the rear doors can now do so. Timber merchants don't care about style.

Timber merchants (lumberyards) here are buying GM and Ford minivans which carry just as large a load, or full-size vans that carry much more.

]> VW as a whole is suffering through a quality crisis here. This ]> is not good when the public perceives your products as more ex- ]> pensive than the competition. ] ] This is not the case in Europe- VW (financial problems aside) is generally ]seen as a quality product, offering dependable, durable transport. ] ] This is why I think the problem VW has with the new van (I find it really ]hard to think of it as a "Eurovan" :-) is the difference between the US and ]European markets.

Agreed.

] I hope I'm not coming across as too abrasive, here, I'm just trying to show ]the European perspective, which I hope is interesting given that it is VWs ]main market.

Not to me. I find this discussion interesting and educational.

-- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jerry Dunham, MSE hoosier@rider.cactus.org (512)244-8598 Tandem Computers, Inc. dunham@mpd.tandem.com Integrity Systems Division dunham_jerry@tandem.com

"A healthy male adult bore consumes each year one-and-a-half times his own weight in other people's patience."

- J. Updike