Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 1994 20:06:17 -0600 (CDT)
From:         dunham@mpd.tandem.com (Jerry Dunham)
Subject:      Re: Bigmotors, etc.

]From vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Tue Apr 12 19:43:07 1994 ]From: derekdrew@aol.com ] ]So far it seems like fty@vislab.epa.gov and macklow@sybase.com have expressed ]interest on collaborating on getting some shop to do the 2.5 litre ]conversions. Anybody else? Perhaps if we got 10 people together to contribute ]a $15 research fee, we could hire a top quality shop to research the thing ]down to the part numbers (OKRASA) and give us a bid.

I'm nowhere near doing this (I still have a 1.9), but would be willing to contribute the $15 just to get the data available for the future.

]The reliability of the Oettinger 6s is probably the same as our current motor ]minus 15% or something. These motors are said to be identica l to our current ]2.1 litre motors except for the addition of the extra two cylinders. ]Oettinger told me they have no special data on their engines as the engines ]are identical with what we have already. ] ]I think the 6 has 3.2 litres.

I'm still amazed that VW never did this on a production basis. I'd mort- gage the wife and kids for a production Vanagon 6.

]I think it was about $8,000 complete to get a 2.5 litre motor.

Ouch!

]I think it was about $20,000 to get the 3.2 litre motor.

[faints]

]Now I think I will go get a fire truck to put out the flames as you ]guys blast me for tempting you with this stuff.

Where's my flamethrower? I know I left it around here somewhere....

-- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jerry Dunham, MSE hoosier@rider.cactus.org (512)244-8598 Tandem Computers, Inc. dunham@mpd.tandem.com Integrity Systems Division dunham_jerry@tandem.com

"A healthy male adult bore consumes each year one-and-a-half times his own weight in other people's patience."

- J. Updike