Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Apr 1994 16:39:01 EDT
From:         cchubb@ida.org (Chris Chubb)
Subject:      Re: Tuning Problems

>From: James Wallace <jwallace@uoguelph.ca> >Subject: Re: Tuning Problems >To: Chris Chubb <cchubb@ida.org> >In-Reply-To: <9404071650.AA02234@card-u1.ida.org> >Message-Id: <Pine.3.07.9404131551.A15846-a100000@irwin.cs.uoguelph.ca> >Mime-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII > > Ok, I finally checked the backissues and all it was for was >suggestions for mains. I was hoping it would be more detailed, but here it >is such as it is. Get 140, 137, 135, 132 and 130 mains and you can make >eight different combinations, one of which will in all likelyhood be best >for your VW. So 140/137 try first, then if too rich go 137/135 on down the >line. I wrote down all my jet nos. when I rebuilt mine but I haven't run >across it. WHEN I do find the sucker, I will ring you back with every >extraneous detail I can find. Just kidding. How are you making out??? >

I have been toying with it for the last couple of days, even swapping in the jets from the burned out carb. They were kinda crusty, but I soaked them in carb cleaner and then in gasoline, shaking like a martini. (No flames) But still to no avail. One thing that I forgot to mention in my original post was that I broke the fuel pump pushrod trying to bend it to clear the adaptor flange. I now have a piece of finely crafted coathanger in there, with the spring. It seems to pump correctly, but mabye too much, flooding the carb. It does smell like gas when starting, but I usually just give it one pump, off the pedal, turn the key.

I am going to try to check the distributor as a source of my problems first. I wish I had an accurate method of discovering the TDC with the engine in the car, so I could tell exactly where my pully was.

Idea just struck me. How much clearance is there from the end of the spark plug to the top of the piston at TDC. I could make a spark plug stick out too far and turn the engine back and forth, bumping into the plug. Between the stop points is TDC!

Once I figure out where TDC is, I should be able to tune my engine alot better in the timing setup. Without a good timing, the mixture wont make much difference. I am thinking of buying a 009, but with a 30-PICT-2, I know the delay in acceleration will make it almost impossible. Would you pair a 009 with a 30-PICT-2?

--- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) __________________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the Institute \ \for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ -------------------------------------------------------------------------- | o | \\ // |Currently | ___ | Oo | /\, | \\ \\// // |Experiencing | (___)|_o | -|~(*)/ | \\//\\// |FarFromMovin'| //====--//(_) | (*) /-' | \/ \/ |'71 Bus | \\ ^