Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Apr 94 16:32:44 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon idle hunting

>dealer could tell me was "everything is fine".

yeah. that's what they kept telling me, too!!!

>'87 models come with the Digifant system, Right? . Looks as if the coolant > temp sensor I need to relace is mounted right under the thermostat housing > and can be easily removed from above. Apparently you remove the retaining > clip, slide out the old/in the new, and you're done. I suppose some coolant > loss is inevitable, so I should release any residual cooling system > pressure first. There must be a rubber seal--should it be replaced too?

last thing first!! YES, by all means get a new o-ring. :)

ok. the Digifant system was used on ALL 1986-1991 vanagons (on the 2.1 liter engine). on the 1983-1985 1.9 liter engines, they called it Digijet. it's supposed to be pretty much the same, but ... it's also 'supposed' to be the same as Bosch Motronic (on bmw's) but WITHOUT the knock sensor and timing control. i don't know that for sure.

the sensor you want is the one on the left side of the thermostat (looking from the rear of the car). the other sensor is the one for the coolant gauge. i just removed the clip, disconnected the wiring connector, then you remove a bigger clip (which locks the sensor in the pipe), and then the sensor will slide/wiggle out. sometimes the o-ring does NOT come out with it, so you'll have to stick your finger in there to get it. i wiped with an old t-shirt to clean up any whatever than might have accumulated around the o-ring.

you WILL lose coolant, but not much if the car is level. i didn't do anything special to the coolant tank or system about releasing pressure ... but i did bleed the system afterward.

have the new sensor (with the new o-ring on it) ready so you can do this as quickly as possible. you may have to wiggle the new one a bit to get it in and you'll have to kinda push on it to put the big clip back in.

i recommend doing it from above. :) the first time i did it, i laid on my back under the car (well ... it looked like it would be easier to get to all the pieces). WRONG!! you get coolant all over you. from above is better. trust me. also be sure to let the car cool off a LOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG time. even four hours later, the coolant was rather warm! hot coolant is NOT fun.

also: when you disconnect the wiring harness connection, get it up and out of the way (so the coolant coming out doesn't get it wet). try to dry everything off before you hook up the wiring again (check the connectors on the sensor to be sure there is not any coolant in the little recesses).

and that's about it. my sensor cost me $30 (i think) and the o-ring was about $2.00. yeah, that's what i thought, too. maybe next time i'll go down to the local hydraulic supply house and see if i can match an old one. :)

good luck. joel