Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 94 20:02:54 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Eurovan Rebuttal ... :)

ric vented his quite righteous defense of his eurovan, and i guess i'd ought to try to talk myself out of a corner.

what i say about eurovans is what *I* feel about them as being FOR ME. not for someone else. that's what i said about the chrysler mini-vans: they are great for someone else, but not for me. when i had so much trouble with my 86 vanagon, and the dealers in three cities couldn't or wouldn't fix it, i almost considered trading for a voyager. but i sat in the plymouth for about 30 minutes. just sat there. never even cranked it up or drove it. it just simply was not 'me'. not even close. so i left, and wound up getting another vanagon.

now, i've driven the eurovan three times. big deal? well, it's a first impression at any rate. well, if i didn't like it, why go back for more? cause back in 1967, i was HORRIFIED at the digusting changes vw had made to the cute personable bus!!! and, sure enough, three years later, i bought one. when the double door 95's come out, i'll go back and drive them. but i doubt if i'll buy one. not yet.

point being, that what i liked in 1964-1967 is not necessarily what i like now. and i think that's true of the vw bus buyers in europe ... which is why vw (and everybody else in the car business) has had to change. and what i like now will likely NOT be what i like 15 years from now. it might be. but i kinda doubt it. for now, the vanagon is IT. from 1970-1980, the 71 bus was IT. ten years from now?

like i said, i can see a lot of stuff for people to like, but i find just enough things that i don't like for me. and my experiences with the vw dealers kinda puts me off on any new vw. especially the dealer here.

but in that it is still a vw, and i still like vw's ... in that respect, i'm happy that other people like it. hell, i like ALL the years of vw buses. i just happen to like the vanagon the best. right now. :)

your mileage may vary. joel