Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         March 31, 1990
Subject:      Gasoline containg detergents

Volkswagen United States, Inc. recommends the use of gasolines which contain detergents to keep intake valves and fuel injectors free of deposits.

Gasolines without detergents tend to clog fuel injectors and leave residue on intake valves which can cause unstable idle, surging, misfiring of sparkplugs, stlling and rough engine performance in vehicles with fuel injection systems.

Because many of our customers may not know whether or not a particular brand of gasoline contains these detergents, we have examined advertising literature published by gasoline refiners and other publicly available literature discussing gasoline ingredients.

We cannot independently confirm the accuracy of gasoline advertising claims. The brands of gasolines listed below are claimed by their manufacturers to contain detergent packages designed to keep intake valves and fuel injectors clean. There may be other manufacturers that offer similar detergent packages.

Please pass this information on to customers who have experienced driveability problems that may be caused by carbon deposits on intake valves or fuel injectors.

Amoco: All grades Arco: All grades Chevron: All grades Citgo: Some grades in early 1990 Conoco: Some grades in early 1990 Diamond Shamrock: Premium grade only Exxon: All grades Fina: All grades in early 1990 Hess: All grades in early 1990 Marathon: All grades Mobil: All grades Phillips 66: All grades in early 1990 Shell: All grades Sunoco: Premium grade only Texaco: All grades Unocal: All grades Hess: All grades in early 1990 Hess: All grades in early 1990 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Joel's note: i went though this with my 1986 vanagon and with my 1988 vanagon. in my particular case and in my particular region of the country, this was a waste of money and time. i had the $60 deposit removal procedure done three times, used about a case of Autobahn Gasoline Additive, P/N: ZVW 239 003, AND Chevron Techron, swapped brands of gasoline (i was told by the vw dealer here that ONLY Amoco could be run in my 1986 vanagon, because all the others had caused the deposits that were causing my problems!). all of that had NO effect on the idling and stalling problem.

when i changed the coolant temp sensor, the problem went away. it came back again, changed the coolant temp sensor again, and the problem went away again. go figure.

as far as brands of gasolines are concerned, we have three (3) suppliers in this town and it is NOT unusual at all to see a Parade gas truck unloading fuel into an Exxon station's tanks, or an Amoco truck unloading at a Unocal station. so how do you know what 'brand' of gasoline you're getting?? .......................................................................