Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Apr 1994 16:35:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Dean Paul Karpowicz <chinaski@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:      Heater core bleeder screw

I have a spare (I bought one and the one I had was fine) little white bleeder screw for the rear heat exchanger on a Vanagon. I thought that mine was bad, but I just cleaned it up and replaced the o-ring (found one at work that fit perfectly). Anyone need it? These do occasionally break off...

Also, as I have seen from the posts about the lever on the rear heat exchanger, there are a lot of people out there that don't have manuals... I have a manual for an '84 model Vanagon. The part about the secondary heat exchanger is as follows...

SECONDARY HEAT EXCHANGER FOR PASSENGER COMPARTMENT

This heat exchanger is located under the rear seat bench. The air volume can be regulated with the 3-speed fan control switch on the instrument panel (see above illustration) (ed. I'm not going to try this in ascii)

During the warm months of the year, the secondary heat exchanger can supplement the outside air flow-though ventilation system. (how, I don't know. I'ts not connected to the outside except the hoses)

To prevent warm air flow from reaching the footwells, the heat exchanger valve must be shut off.

To gain acces (that's how VW spelled it!) to the valve -

1. Grasp upper edge of kick panel under rear seat bench and pull out.

2. To open valve - pull lever forward.

3. To close valve - pull lever rearward.

4. Reinstall kick panel securely.

This is the instructions from the manual that came with my van. However I can't follow these instructions for I have a Wolfsburg. I just have to raise my back seat (in prep to convert it to a bed) and there's a small hole in the wood covering over the heat exchanger. Stink in your finger and feel around.

I guess I could make copies of the manual if anyone wants it (within reason!) it has a lot of good information in it.

I also have two (2) '84 Vanagon Maintenance booklets. One is from a car we sold a while back, the other one (completely blank) is for the car I now have. Anyone want the other one???