Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Apr 1994 21:16:37 -0500
From:         Green Eric L <elg9316@usl.edu>
Subject:      battery tray replacement story

> the profesional. As nor would I. I just have a piece of 3/4 inch > plywood. And that's all I need unless I want to (or can afford to) do a

Like I said, if you're not willing to do it right, have the decency to admit it... I don't know how many VW's I've seen butchered by silly people with acetelene torches. So it's a sore point with me. I remember checking out a Super Beetle where some butcher had welded straight sheet metal to the rusted-out battery tray. There was daylight shining around it where the pan and sheetmetal had buckled due to the heat. I said to the guy who owned it, "You better get that sealed shut, 'cause every time it rains that lets water in and causes yet more rust." Needless to say, I didn't buy that car (not that I was too enamored of buying a Super Beetle in the first place).

Perhaps I was too hard on the guy. Lord knows I have made plenty of mistakes in my own life. I just was irritated that he seemed to diss the entire idea of welding new body panels in because of his bad choice of weldors and equipment.

-- Eric Lee Green elg@usl.edu (318) 984-1820 P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509