Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Apr 94 10:01:39 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon idle hunting --FIX

>> Today I'm THRILLED to report that I was able to replace the coolant >> temperature sensor and that ALL of the above symptoms disappeared. >> Starts right up and runs right, no surging, no stalling and >> accelerates smoothly. AND I got all this for the $11.32 the dealer >> charged me for the sensor (and a $1.68 for the new o-ring seal). > >I just wanted to mention that I had similar symptoms and looking at my >invoice, it says that it was from a sticking idle valve. >I have investigated as what the idle valve is, but it doesn't sound >like the same thing as the coolant sensor Joel was speaking of. >And yet, I had the exact same symptoms that Richard had. Matter of >fact, I thought Richard had been drivin' my car. ;) . So what do a >think?

aha!! another something to check!! the 'idle valve' is that gizmo that connects the air flow meter/air cleaner box to the 'spider'box where the manifold tubes come out. not a good description, i know. :) it's a little black rubber tube-looking thing that has an electrical connection on it. kinda in the middle-back-right of the engine. about the size of your thumb.

anyway, i forgot about it ... it's the thing that is supposed to buzz/hummmmmm /vibrate when you turn the ignition on. i guess the reason i 'forgot' about it was that when i had my 1986 and the dealer couldn't/wouldn't fix it for two years, we went through that several times ... and it wasn't the problem (then, there, on THAT bus). but it might be somebody else's problem. mine seems to have been the temp sensor.

what the idle valve (seems like there is another name for it) does is to keep a pipe closed when cold, and open up a little round 'valve' when it warms up. like an old electric choke. the bentley test (as i remember) is 'if it hummms/vibrates, it's working'. ?

joel