Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Apr 94 21:52:13 EDT
From:         derekdrew@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Subwoofer

Where'd we get these car audio nuts from! Somehow they crawled out of a hole in the car audio world and they are here to help us with our Vanagons!

Here's a Vanagon curve ball...

I have a question about where to mount a subwoofer in the Vanagon. I propose to mount the subwoofer under the front two seats, using the "box" space that exists forward of the battery compartments. I cannot remember the dimensions-- I bet it is about 1/3-1/4 cubic foot. Is there a subwoofer that can work effectively with such a small enclosure? This enclosure can be sealed tight.

This empty, unused, box area is in my 4x4 Syncro. I am not sure if the 2WD vanagons have this empty box.

I am also thinking about trying to use the dead air space in the rear decklid but don't know if the covering is too flimsy to work well to seal out the rear output from a subwoofer or if the cavity itself is big enough.

Let's hear it on subwoofer spots for Vanagon.

I am reluctant to use any of my Westfalia cabinets or the space under my rear bench seat because I usually fill these cabinets quite full with stuff and don't know how the presence of this stuff would affect the sound (by occupying variable amounts of air mass). Also, these cabinets are not sealed, and the backwave from a subwoofer would get out, I theorize.

I thought about using the sliding door somehow, but of course, you couldn't use it very well when the door was open.