Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Apr 94 21:15:44 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: thread on underpowered?

>For comparison, the last time I checked fuel usage around town I got around >19 mpg, but then I tend to drive boxer VWs with the pedal to the floor just >about all the time, a habit I developed with my old '58 bug. >So what gives? Why am I getting better fuel economy than Joel? If the >best Joel can get is 23 mpg, I ought to be getting 13.

well ... yours could be a tad lean and mine could be really screwed up rich. or you could have that mythical 200mpg Bosch EFI. :) i've always figured mine was about right, cause the 80 bus got 18.6 average over 110,000 miles. i got 25 mpg a couple of times in it, and could consistently get over 20mpg on trips.

it is possible that my 'gentle' technique (rev up to 4000 and shift; shift down whenever the rpm drops to 2000-2500, depending on load/hill/etc) is NOT the best way to get good economy.

BUT ... with my handy dandy trip computer, i did some semi-serious testing at steady (cruise control) rpms ... clocking the fuel consumption over ten liters or so (takes about an hour at each rpm). and this is what i found:

4000 rpm 4.3 min/liter => 18.1 mpg at 67.0 mph 3800 rpm 5.1 min/liter => 20.4 mpg at 63.7 mph 3600 rpm 5.5 min/liter => 21.0 mpg at 60.7 mph 3600 rpm 5.7 min/liter => 21.7 mpg at 60.3 mph 3400 rpm 6.3 min/liter => 22.8 mpg at 57.0 mph 3400 rpm 6.4 min/liter => 23.1 mpg at 57.0 mph 3200 rpm 7.2 min/liter => 24.2 mpg at 53.6 mph 3000 rpm 8.1 min/liter => 25.6 mpg at 50.3 mph

(you try cruising at 50 mph on the interstate! talk about pissing people off!)

now .. when i did kinda the same thing (except not for a whole hour) in my 86 bus, it had a more 'humped' mpg curve ... best economy between 3200 and 3400, then 'acceptable' economy down to 3800, and really bad economy from 4200 rpm onward. the funny thing was that it pretty much leveled out at about 19 mpg from 3800 to 4200 rpm, which is 64 mph to 70 mph. i did try to drive the same route each time, so the data would be for the same terrain.

now ... how correct and scientific is this? probably not much. no guarantees on the calibration of my trip computer, brands of gasoline, terrain, road surfac friction, altitude, etc., etc., etc. i'm looking for 'pattern' data ... so when my bus changes its pattern, i'll notice it (i.e., something has changed ... so something must be wrong!). but since the values were pretty much in the ballpark of my 1980 bus, i figured it was likely correct enough. (since the overall shape and the weights are pretty much the same).

anybody else keep track of their mileage? anybody anywhere close to being as anal-retentive? :)

joel