Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Apr 1994 10:05:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Werner Kenneth Hellmer <whellmer@icaen.uiowa.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Subwoofer

OLA Beneath seats is a great place to put bass!!!!! I have mounted 8" subwoffers inside my driver and passenger seats (between the springs and wheel wells of my 78bus). These will give you alot of boom, using less power. The important thing is to invert them (piont them down, I fooled with pointing them up and didn't like the results, boomy growly muddy mess). Who knows tho, try something different perhaps it will work. I made a small sealed enclosure for each driver (i'm considering porting, perhaps??) and faced it down, bouncing it off of a 3/4 inch piece of particle board. Play around with the distance between the driver and the particle board difflector and you get some really interesting effects. Also try covering the deflector with various things (ie bare, foam, burlap etc.) I would'nt go larger than 8" unless you can find something to fit in that space (let me know if you do!) Also remember these babies are right under you (girls seem to enjoy this more?) so you don't need 400W per channel, try 50-80W rms.

You will feel the bass, you will taste the bass, you'll smell it too...

These are subwoofers only (ie <200hz) so you will need midbass drivers otherwise you will hear only mudd. Don't dream of sending the seat woofers more than 800hz or you'll call me a liar about the quality. Min of 50W rms per channel too!

Keep me posted, everybody has brilliant ideas:) and I'm not to proud to steal them;)

*Werner Hellmer whellmer@icaen.uiowa.edu