Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 05 Apr 94 15:30:45 PDT
From:         Mitch Hendrickson <mitchh@hops.gvg.tek.com>
Subject:      Re: Summary of Door rubber

I also recently did front door rubber (on a '71 as well! :-) from J.C. Whitney, and I have a few comments:

cc> drivers side of my Bus. Installation went in without a hitch. Only cc> one place where I was puzzled. The rubber includes a hole for the cc> limiting strap but I was not tearing apart my door to do the cc> limiting strap. So I cut the gasket diagonally, slipped it around,

If you look at the other end (not in the door - the end at the body) there is a way out. I don't recall exactly now and the bus is at home, but I think there was a pin that I knocked out, allowing the limiting strap to come free of the body. Putting it back was a mildly tricky matter of realigning it and then putting the pin back.

cc> cement around the door, mostly where the old cement was. HINT: Use cc> a small piece of tubing, about an inch long, screwed onto the tip cc> of the cement tube to get the cement into the channels, the tube

Wish I'd thought of that...

cc> also have to take the new gasket and lay it out on the ground with cc> the adhesive side up. Be sure you are putting the goop on the cc> right side, it can be tough to tell. Then spread the contact cc> cement around the gasket. Be liberal, it gets soaked up by the

I skipped this part, just putting the cement in the groove in the door. Seems to have worked OK for me.

cc> concrete surface to work on. Also a helper when it comes to cc> installing it to keep the glue from touching the door. Let the

Having skipped the glue on the rubber, you can make this part easy by fitting the rubber in place (friction will hold it, mostly) and pulling segments out, applying the glue, and putting them back.

cc> JC Whitney rubber was what I used. I do not usually use thier [...] cc> guys. If I was doing a show car installation, I would not have cc> even considered it. But I consider my VW a transportation vehicle cc> that just happens to be 'way-cool' and a hobby. The JCW rubber cc> wont last another 22 years, but if I get 10 out of it, I will be cc> ahead of the game.

Ditto. I figured I could put in 3 JCW seals for the price of a good one :-) [not my usual mode of operation, but since it's not out in the sun and all, I figgered I'd give it a try.]

cc> Next on the project list: The granddaddy of all rubber---The cc> sliding door seal. (And mabye a new windsheild gasket too.) But cc> first those cylinder heads.

Oh my! If you should find a cheap acceptable source for those (even Whitney wants hundreds of dollars, as I recall), we'll be glad to hear it. Me? I'm thinking hard about fabricating something myself....

-Mitch