Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 05 Apr 94 18:54:57 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Kombi, Kombi, who's got the Kombi ... (differences)

>Rubber mats for a Vanagon? Would they be easy to retrofit to my '84 GL? >Are they readily available? I thought when I got this thing I asked at my >local VW dealer and was told they weren't available for an '84 Vanagon, >but it might be as simple as getting mats for an earlier one. I can live >with the cloth seats (they're more comfortable when you get into a hot bus >here in Texas, anyway) but my carpet looks like you'd expect in a utility >vehicle with 110,000 miles on it.

yes, indeedy you CAN!!! all it takes is a small texas fortune!!! just the front rubber floor mat was $250!!!! not including that little piece between the front seats. i was too shocked to price the big one in the back seats! i wanted to replace the carpet (also dirty ... i really don't think you can keep carpet clean ... unless you cover it up with some sort of rubber/ vinyl covering) in my 88 bus and ran afoul of Mr. Budget!

>BTW, what's a Caravelle? I thought that was a Renault ripoff of a Karmann >Ghia. Is VW using that name for the Typ II in other markets?

it IS a renault, but vw uses that name for the Vanagon models we call GL. they (vw) also have a model called Magnum, which i think is about the same as the Carat. i was lucky enough to get someone to bring me back a rear hatch emblem of 'Transporter'. :) it just popped right into the old 'Vanagon' holes.

>Ummm.... If these are German sources, how much could they apply to U.S.- >spec VWs? I know they've sold quite a few models in Deutschland that we >have never seen on this side of the pond.

that's the problem ... what influence did VWOA have on all this? were all Kombi's sold in the u.s. upgraded to a certain level? or were only a certain trim level even shipped? that part i don't know.

joel