Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Apr 1994 21:56:39 -0500
From:         Matt Bushore <mbushore@icaen.uiowa.edu>
Subject:      Re: VANAGON digest 16

This is actually about two totally different things.

First a request to please, please, please trim your mail as much as you can. At 2400 baud, its, um, a bit trying??

And two.

I got my bus back on the road and wanted to thank everyone who has given me advice. After the following work, it has some seepage on the rear( flywheel) seal :(, but its not super bad yet.

Replaced station wagon seats with folddown from Westphlalia Regreased front wheel bearings Regreased CV joints and replaced a boot Replaced Wheel Cylinders New Brake Shoes Turn Drums Replace all crappy black antennae mounts and locks lathces with chrome off a '74 Removed vinyl from masonite and replaced with black short pile carpet Restained wooden back of seat All new gaskets and front and rear engine seals New Valve screws New rings New rod bearings Rotor and distributor cap New Bossh Spark plug wires, adjust valves and dwell Acid bath soak engine tin and repaint them Radio and amp

My brother and I did all this over the past 2 months on the weekends. The engine runs like a top, but leaks a very little bit from the tranny/ engine junction. Its not nearly as severe as the quart/80 miles it was doing before I rebuilt it.

I have no rear brakes, and need to figure out what the hell is wrong with that. Also, I think I might haver some worn front end parts, but its drivable.

I have about 300 in parts for the above. Any ideas on what labor would have been for everything?? We probably spent over 100 hours on it, but its the first van I have ever seen that the sliding door shuts :)

Sorry about the length, esp about bitching about trimming, but I just wanted everyone to know what happens when people get too involved with something and go crazy.

Matt '77 Bus '92 Trek 990