Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 05 May 94 13:35:36 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Low idle speed when cold

>I got my replacement part to confirm the price. She couldn't remember >exactly, but they said thrity-something dollars. So, I think I got >mine one time for cheap ...

hmmmm. and my wiring harness gizmo went from $38 to $95. i wonder if vw just recently had a big vanagon parts price increase? :(

>cold starting to keep the engine from stalling. My '84 seemed to >have a "high idle" which this '87 does not.

it's possible that 1. your idle speed was adjusted wrong ... cause the dealer didn't know that the coolant temp sensor was bad. probably have to get the CO content checked to get it fixed (adjusted correctly). 2. that little idle valve thingie (the hose-looking gizmo that is supposed to buzz/vibrate/hummm when you crank up) isn't working right. 3. oxygen sensor gone bad? needing to heat up before it works right?

i'd bet on the idle speed adjustment being bad. you could screw with it yo you what i did (we don't have any emissions testing here ... but i did get mine tested last time i was in atlanta, and it 'passed').

joel