Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 May 94 9:43:31 CDT
From:         jwk1@cec.wustl.edu (John William Kuthe)
Subject:      Re: Rear axle nuts

John,

[You wrote:]

> This is obvious, but if you're going to use a breaker bar (and a pipe, and > another bar, and...) to take off those big 46mm nuts, it'll make a big > difference if you have someone hold the brakes, every little bit of > rigidity helps. You could use the e-brake, but chances are it's why you > want the drums off... > > Still, the first time I took my drums off, I broke two 18" breaker bars > in two consecutive days (and got a really dirty look from the guy at > Sears when I cashed in on the warranty the second time, maybe I shouldn't > have said "this one snapped much easier than the other"). I ended up > having to use an impact wrench. I can't believe Muir's hammer and chisel > method would ever work.

True, and thats why they make that wonderful 1/2 inch steel plate thingy that you can place over your 46mm axle nut and then hit with a sledgehammer! Muir's happer and chisel method might work, but it would be a tough job (I've done it on 36mm nuts, and even that;s a task!) you still have to set the brake, but snce you're using impact force to loosen the nut, it's much less likely to cause the vehicle to roll away on you. I have that happen on Bug axle nuts, 'cause I got tired of bothering the people at Sears and bought myself a 36mm impact socket and a 3/4 inch breaker bar. I can put a 5 foot piece of gas pipe on this arrangement and do severe damage to any frozen nut! In fact, I've broken gland nuts this way (must be more careful! :-) )

If you mant to avoid the need for an impact wrench, I suggest you get yourself one of these wonderful axle nut tools. Any aftermarket VW shop should be able to get you one. As I recall, they're under $10, and well worth the price!

Happy Bussing! -- John Kuthe, aka jwk1@cec.wustl.edu, St. Louis, MO.

First Job of Government: Protect people from govermment. Second Job of Government: Protect people each other

It must *never* be the job of government to protect people from themselves.

#insert <stddisclaimer.h> (stolen without permission from someone)