Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 May 94 22:28:38 EDT
From:         derekdrew@aol.com
Subject:      New Fuel Inject Test Data

Many of us have heard by now about the wiring harness fix for the hesitation/surging effect that many 86-91 Vanagons have. I have installed this fix in my own van and have suggested other owners of these vans think about getting the wiring harness fix too.

I noticed that the addition of this harness alters the normal test results that one would get when taking resistance readings when trying to diagnose problems with the fuel injection system. Accordingly, I got out my "Vanagon/Type II Fuel Systems Pro Training Manual" that is published by VW for its own dealer mechanics and decided to pencil in what the new resistance readings should be.

I turned to page 107 of this manual and I see reference to readings that one would get between terminals #3 and 4, between 2 and 4, and betweeen 1 and 4. But then I looked at the factory advisory Joel gave us and it doesn't really refer to these readings. Instead it says:

**************************************************************** NOTE When troubleshooting this system and performing continuity checks, the following should be noted. Due to active components in the wire harness, Part No. 025 906 302, there is not continuity between pin two of the connectors. The following chart on page 2 lists the resistence of each circuit. --------------------------------------------- Terminal Approximate Number Resistance --------------------------------------------- 1 Zero Ohms 2 Greater than 1 Meg. Ohms 3 Zero Ohms 4 Zero Ohms 5 Zero Ohms

I cannot determine from the above what these new readings refer to. They refer to resistance readings from certain terminal numbers but I don't know if these terminal numbers are on the harness, on the old harness, on the air flow box, or over near the ECU. Furthermore, they refer to readings would get from a terminal number 5, but I see no reference to terminal number 5 readings on page 107 of the manual, which is the page devoted to the air flow sensor.

Are these resistance readings between each terminal number and pin #2? ...between these terminal numbers and ground?

Any person on the internet mailing list who feels he knows--or who can figure out--what VW means by the above advisory is urged to clarify this for us Digifant owners. Perhaps I am simply looking at the wrong page of the manual.

If you do not own the factory training manual I mentioned, and you have a Digifant system (86-91), send me private e-mail with your snail-mailing address to borrow a copy from me.

For that matter, the manual also covers *all* fuel injected busses, so you should have a copy if you have any Vanagon, or fuel injected bus too.

Lets get to this problem and resolve it. How do we know how to adjust the test result figures we should be obtaining if we can't make sense of the terminal resistance readings VW tells us to use.