Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 94 10:08:51 EDT
From:         eager_r@apollo.hp.com (Richard Eager)
Subject:      How much is that 1971 Beetle in the gas station

Hi Folks,

My oldest came home last night all enthused at finding a 1971 Beetle for sale at a local gas station. He's about to get his license and wants a car!!? My SO thinks this is a great idea too as she is tired of carting kids around. Bet this sounds familiar to many of you ...

Anyway, I took just a brief look at it on the way to work this morning. It's recently had a lousy paint job (bright red) and otherwise looks very used, but nothing stands out as really wrong. The engine looks dirty.

I forgot to look at the odometer (not really sure it's relevant anyway) and didn't ask for a demonstration or ride, but I am interested in what you all think might be a reasonable (help me define this) price to pay. Asking price is $1500. If we get serious about this, I'll take it to the local VW dealer and pay to have it evaluated.

I think this could be a great opportunity for the kid to learn about autos, both the fixing and operating expenses. But I'm concerned about the cost and availability of parts.

What do you all think,

DickE eager_r@apollo.hp.com --