Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 1994 23:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:         KIPARSKI@delphi.com
Subject:      How much is that Beetle in the window?

A '71 Beetle for $1500?

Damn, it better be in fine shape!

What region of the country is this purchase being considered? In the rust belt (winter, salt)? In the sun belt? In the Bug Belt (California)?

I live in New York State, and for $1500, I'd expect a Bug to be in solid shape (i.e. not much BAD rust). The engine could be old, but workable. It MUST be able to IMMEDIATELY, without question, pass a DMV Vehicle Inspection. I would want an immediately useable car. I've bought several Beetles that have worked well for me, and none have cost more than 500 dollars, with only one having really BAD rust.

1973 Beetle $50.00 Great body, poor engine.(drove the %#&$! out of it) 1971 Camper $800.00 Fair body, great engine.(drove to Mexico and back) 1959 Beetle $35.00 Good Body, no engine.(local kids stomped its roof in) 1973 Beetle $500.00 Great body, great engine.(my first, sweet 16) 1972 Super Beetle $500 Fair body, great engine.(my sad loss) 1970 Camper $500 Great body, great engine, tons of extra parts.(current)

Shop around. If he really wants a Bug, beware of his falling in love with the first Bug he sees. Buyer Beware. Shop. He can learn all of the good lessons of do-it-yourself self-reliance, economy, and consumer-saavy much less expensively than $1500 bucks.

But then, if that Buggy is real sweet, why not?

Wolf