Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 94 03:26:50 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Manuals

On Mon, 16 May 94 00:05:47 CDT <DerekDrew@aol.com> said: >idiot manual (an old one) for the old breadloaf (pre 80) busses. Does anybody >know of a Vanagon manual that covers water cooled Vanagons which is not >published by Bentley? Is there an idiot manual for us. Is Bently and the >microfiche the only game in town?

i have copies of two more books that cover the vanagons of different years ... there is just ONE little hitch: they are written in German. :( but the pictures are neat. :)

Jetzt helfe ich mir selbst (now i can help myself?) Band 111 Volume 111 by Dieter Korp (this guy seems to write them for all cars, must be the german equivalent of John Muir, Haynes, and Bentley all rolled into one) covers VW Bus, Gasoline after October, 1982, Diesels, and Turbodiesels.

note: these are NOT as detailed as the bentley book, more like the Haynes book (from what i can tell).

other books in the series are: Band 102, VW Bus, from July 1979 to September 1982 (first models of air- cooled vanaqons) EXCEPT diesels. Band 101, VW Bus, from August 1972 to June 1979 (all type-4 engined buses of the second generation body style).

the other set of books is calle 'Reparatur-anleitung'. it's not as good as the Jetzt series, having only drawings (no pictures). but since i can't read what they are trying to tell me, for all i know it might be better.

Band 1006/1007/1008, VW Transporter, after March 1985, 1.9/2.1-liter gasoline motors. Band 783/784/785, VW Transporter, after June 1978 (?), 1.6/2.0-liter engines in Vanagon body style. Band 799/800/801, VW Transporter, after 1979, 1.6-liter Diesel and Turbodiesel in Vanagon Body style. there is/was another volume in the series, Band 796/797/798, VW Transporter, 1.9-liter watercooled 1982-1984, but i was told it was out of print when i ordered it last year. :(

all of these were ordered from that place in stuttgart that i use (which is also the publisher), Motorbuch Versand. the cost is about $30-40 per book, but the shipping is the killer: about $12 per book (air mail). if anyone has relatives/friends in germany, they might be able to get them cheaper and ship by surface mail (slower but maybe a lot cheaper). my experience has been that our postal system is MUCH cheaper than other countries. my nephew is in england and his post cards cost him about $1.00US to send to me.

if anyone wants the address and the order numbers, prices, etc. of these books, let me know and i'll send it (or post it if enough of you want it). anybody in england/canada/australia know if these books are available in english? the impression i got from the publisher was 'no'. :( joel