Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 1994 20:49:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      weekend report and shifting prob.

Well, I'm back from my trip to Chicago -- first decent length trip in my 84 Vanagon. It was REALLY nice. My wife played stewardess and served us (mew and the kids and our exchange student) lunch which made the trip about an hour shorter for not having to stop. I got about 26 mpg on the way down and about 24 mpg on the way back, so I'm pretty happy with that part of it. During the trip, however, my shifter started behaving worse, so now it's become hard enough that I really have to fix it. It goes smoothly into first, but hard into second. It goes easily into third, but is REALLY hard to get back out again. Any hints are welcome. I've read the manual, and it looks like any adjustments are pretty tricky, but I'm betting something's worn anyway and adjusting won't help.

On Mon, 2 May 1994, B. Langdon wrote: > underpowered, should have a 5-speed transmission, difficult to shift to 2nd > expensive and flaky service, A/C dead > superb turning radius, fits into little camping spots under trees > carries all we need

Wow does that sound familiar! If you find the solution to your shifting problems, pass 'em on.

The other good news is that the list seems to have run very well while I've been gone. (except for mail to Thom Fitzpatrick).

Til tomorrow ... -- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu> U of MN Med.School.Admin 6-5379