Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 May 94 15:40:26 PDT
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: California Smoggin'

> > The way I understand the smog rules is this: I don't believe that it matters > if your vehicle passes the smog test. If you have an out-of-state car you > must pay a $300 ($350 ?) smog abatement fee. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVEN IF YOUR > CAR HAS CALIFORNIA LEVEL EMMISSIONS!!

Your car must have california-level emissions to pass the smog test. You must bring your smog certificate with you when you get your calif. reg- istration. In addition to the the $300 fee, there are some other tricky rules.

If you bought your car less than 90 days before you entered CA, you have to pay a fee equal to the CA sales tax on purchase price of the vehicle.

If your vehicle is a "new" car that has less than 4500 miles on it, you cannot get it licensed in CA. I guess that's to keep people from buying those cheaper cars in Nevada.

Also, your use fee is based on the "value" of the car, which is 2% of some steadily-descending number based on the purchase price. I'm not sure if this is hardcoded in the computer, or if they ask you the purchase price when you register. If they ask, give the lowest number you think you can get away with. Like, the price you paid divided in half (or more).

I recently bought my syncro here in CA after moving from Alabama. They didn't even ask for a bill of sale when I registered it. Stupidly, I told them the price I paid, and they quite nicely asked me to pay 8% of that number.

My wife's mazda still has AL plates which expire next month, so I'm debating whether to trade the thing in, or pay the smog fee ($300) and the 30,000 tuneup ($410).

BTW, when you go to the DMV to get your new CA license, be sure to bring your passport or birth certificate in addition to your old license, because they won't issue you one otherwise.

-Jim