Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 1994 11:27:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:         steffens@herbie.unl.edu (Scott Steffens)
Subject:      my western trip

Okay, I asked you guys a week or two ago to help me out with regards to my bus in the mountains. I got a lot of good suggestions for things to bring along, etc. Now this message has more to do with helping me out than my VW. well... here goes...

WEST ODYSSEY 1994, a summer BIG LOOP megaroadtrip - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "Two guys, one bus, a camera, the Net....and a dream" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The best way to start is to start, so let's....

WHO: Ed Stastny, illustrator/artist, OTIS curator, zinester age 22 (net-age:4), male, dark hair, brown eyes, Taurus music: ambient, industrial, punk, Brazilian, Indian Mercy Rule, Eno, Third Mind, 4AD, Pixies, Whale movies: Orlando, Naked, Bladerunner, Alien tv: X-Files, Star Trek, Bab5, COPS, Liquid TV, documentaries books: biographies, art, science, comics drugs: caffeine, Bolo, net foods: vegetarian, spinach pizza, grilled cheese(w/catsup) ambitions: publishing, creating, OTIS Inc. http://sunsite.unc.edu/otis/pers/Stastny_E.html email: ed@sunsite.unc.edu cb alias: Chiggerbite

Scott Steffens, photographer, cynic, general nice guy age 20 (net-age: 1.5), xy, libra, U.S. citizen fine-arts photography major at the University of Nebraska music: drone, folk, K records, pixies, sebadoh, mousetrap movies: ruben & ed, gandhi, night on earth, star wars tv: star hustler, cartoons that glamourize violence books: douglas coupland, dr. seuss, the world almanac addictions: converse all-stars, guava juice, my plants foods: lacto-ovo, cream cheese pizza, indian cuisine ambitions: this school thing, photographing, exploration email: steffens@herbie.unl.edu cb alias: Cowboy X

Glenda (a.k.a. our packmule) 1973 volkswagen campervan big, orange, and beautiful (w/secret compartments for Pez-trafficking) ambitions: to serve my masters well and not attract lightning

WHAT: We're leaving from Omaha, Nebraska on June 1st in a VW BUS and don't plan to return until the second week of July. We'll be going through Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and any states that otherwise get in our way.

WHY: We're travelling for travelling's sake. To see new places, meet new people, have fun and perhaps learn something on the way. As simplistic as that may sound, it's the truth and impetus of our journey. We'll be heading west, to the Pacific coast and back again, interviewing photographing, travelogging, drawing and collecting road-flotsam along the way. When we return to Omaha in July, we will put together a publication about our experience, good or bad. Everyone we meet is a potential contributor/subject of this publication.

For those familiar with WWW, we'll also be putting together a web-bundle for hyperlinkish perusal and scrutiny. Pictures, sounds, words and drawings from our trip.

The reason we're putting together this thing you're reading here, this brief "INFO-FILE" about our trip is that we'd like to meet as many new people as possible, specifically denizens of the Internet. We're also interested in input from anyone as far as interesting locales, must-see events, unique and non-commercial diversions.

Our route is very maliable, here's the current plan:

- Leave Omaha, head NW to Mt.Rushmore. Arrive at MR. - Hike, view, etc. Move on to Wyoming, Yellowstone. - Reach Yellowstone, camp, hike, write, etc. - Head west to Washington. - Spend time in Washington forests and visit Seattle - North into Canada for a day or two. - South to Vancouver, WA area...meet up with friend. - Time in Vancouver, then south to Oregon. - Day or three in Oregon wilderness, coast, towns. - South into California. - San Francisco/Palo Alto, meet up with friends. - Hollywood area, meet up with friend. - Sequoia Forest area. - Death Valley and east into Nevada. - Las Vegas. - SE into Arizona/New Mexico, deserts. - Towns, wilderness, camping in Arizona/NM. - NE into Colorado, meet with friends. - E into Nebraska, home.

The route and plan are variable. Spontaneous changes and alterations will take place.

We're looking for the following:

net-links along the way, places to telnet from (24hr user-rooms on campuses, friendly netters, etc)

interesting sites that aren't as clearly marked or as widely known.

crash-spaces or tips for inexpensive camping (we're polite, don't have criminal records and we'll make you famous in our zine!)

tips/suggestions for inexpensive vegetarian travel-food

good musicians/plays/clubs to see on the way

good people and their pets

someone we can beat at bowling, miniature golf or Scrabble

fellow travellers, campers, artists, writers, musicians and plumbers

If you can help out or have suggestions, warnings, threats or omens...please write us SOON (now, preferably). We're very late in getting this info-file out. Anything is appreciated, hope to see you this summer.

Thanks, ...e (ed@sunsite.unc.edu) PO BX 241113 Omaha, NE 68124-1113 USA

...X (steffens@herbie.unl.edu)

PS: The zine and web pages will be available in mid/late July. We're interested in any and all travel zines and will do trades.