Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 94 08:52:50 PDT
From:         "Lee Wood"        <Lee.Wood@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      [A] Need Assistance With Charging System Troubleshooting

Friends,

Before I spend a bunch of money on replacing batteries, alternators, and black boxes, perhaps some of you would care to advise me on troubleshooting an electrical/charging system problem:

Vehicle: '81 VW Vanagon Westphalia (aircooled) - stock configuration, 95,000 miles (maybe 45,000 on engine - not sure).

Problem: This problem has developed slowly over the last few months; it's now bad enough to do warrant attention. Very slow cranking speed, ESPECIALLY immediately after shutting engine off after driving (like after coming to work this morning), and if it doesn't start on the first three or four revolutions, I need to wait 5 minutes for the battery to revive enough to try again.

Diagnosis so far: Applying multimeter across the poles of the resting battery (fully connected in driving configuration) shows 12.4 volts. Same test with engine at low road speed shows 12.5 volts. Hydrometer shows consistent battery low-charge state on all six cells (just into the red zone of the float). Haynes manual isn't much help. Cable connections to battery are clean and tight. Battery has been kept properly filled with distilled water. I have never jump-started the car or charged the battery with a trickle-charger, so I don't think I've damaged a diode in the alternator.

Repair efforts so far: Pulled battery and ensured that ground cable connection to side of metal battery box is clean, bright and tight. No help. Crawled under and disconnected, cleaned (they were a little corroded) and reconnected all connections to starter (double checked proper connections). Small improvement in cranking speed, but nothing significant or lasting. Removed and inspected alternator brushes. Looked fine. Haynes said they should be between 0.4 and 0.2 inches long: they measured 0.35 inches, so probably were replaced shortly before I bought the bus 1-1/2 years ago.

Hypothesis: (Based on the fact that I checked all battery physical parameters, low voltage across the battery with the engine at speed, and in the 20-minute drive to work this morning I still couldn't get hardly any cranking speed when I tried to restart immediately after shutdown...) Insufficient alternator output and poor battery charging.

So, friends, what do I do now? Have I checked all that is practical to check? From my efforts listed above, you can deduce my electrical acumen. I can do mechanical stuff just fine and solder, and test stuff with the multimeter, etc. I just can't diagnose very well and Haynes isn't much help. Diagnostic tools are limited to a multimeter and hydrometer. I'm well stocked with mechanical tools. Should I find a shop that can diagnose Bosch electricals and then confine myself to replacing alternators and batteries and other recommended black boxes? I have this weekend, so I'd rather spend time than money right now, although I will willingly pay for NEEDED replacements.

Thanks in advance for your interest and assistance. Please reply by direct E-mail to hf.rlw@forsythe.stanford.edu. If I find something interesting, I'll post the results.

Lee

To: VINTAGVW@CC.OWU.EDU, VANAGON@LENTI.MED.UMN.EDU