Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 94 14:09:25 ADT
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Good rubber

>What kind of tires does everyone run on their vans?

Standard size is 195-14 C6 for basic vanagon, 205-14 for syncros, also C6. Get the C6 tires, it's worth it for the handling, and for hauling if you have lots of weight on board. I have on a pair of Sears Trailhandlers in 195 C6 size, good all season tread. These were a major bargain, $55US each so look for a sale. Uniroyal make a Laredo in 195 C6, also good, up around $100. Michelin/Conti are TOO EXPENSIVE for my blood. The C6 tires are high pressure, up 55psi, but don't do it! They ride harsh and loud so I use <38 psi. Beware the replacement tire supplied with the vanagon!! it does not have the same psi rating as the mounted tires ie 44 vs 55 psi. I found out the hard way, mounted up the spare, inflated it to 45 psi to match the other rear tire and it bulged thumped and blew up after a couple of hours. I was fully loaded with household effects at the time, hence the 45 psi. A company called Gislaved (sp?) make an 8 ply tire in the right size if you really like the Mack truck feel! bye tjs