Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 May 94 12:31:25 EDT
From:         huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jerry Huff)
Subject:      Gas spillage & other oddities

I had an interesting experience driving home from work in my Vanagon last evening. My '84 Vanagon is new to me, so new that I was still on the first tank of gas. I knew that I was close to empty but was hoping that I could make it to my local gas station that I patronize. Being prepared, I had my lawn mower gas can with me with a gallon or two in it. A few miles from work and about 5 from the gas station the van started losing power. It would run through first gear just fine but when I went to second it would just putt along, like it was not getting enough gas. At this point the gas gauge had moved up from setting at dead empty and parked itself at about midway through the red mark. I was able to putt along for several hundred yards before I found a safe side road to exit on. The van never did die, but I suppose it would have eventually. I have never run out of gas in a pressurized fuel injection vehicle, so the behavior struck me as odd. I should note that I routinely run out of gas (although never stranded) in my Ford pickup with dual gas tanks and an intermittent fuel gauge, so my expectations were preconditioned. After transferring the gas from the can to the tank I was on my way without incident. Stopping at my local gas station, which has a sloping drive, I pulled up to the first empty pump which positioned my van such that I would be pumping down hill, i.e. filler neck at the top of the slope. I was pumping the gas pretty fast but not wide open when it clicked off at about 14.5 gallons. At this point I heard the sound of a liquid spilling onto the ground. Looking under the van I saw gas dripping off the far side of the gas tank. The bottom of the tank was dry, as the gas was obviously coming from the top of the tank and running off. I would guess from the size of puddle left that 8-10oz spilled over. No gas came out of the filler neck. The only other time I have filled up I was on the other side of the pumps so I was pumping gas up hill instead of down and this did not happen.

Is this a common experience?

My only guess is that the gas was coming from a breather vent at the top of the tank, but shouldn't that have some sort of a float valve to prevent this type of thing from happening?

By the way, my first tank of mixed driving yielded 17.8 mpg. I was hoping to get closer to 20.

-- Jerry Huff huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (919)248-6277 Data General Unix Software Development RTP, NC 27709