Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 May 1994 23:12:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:         KIPARSKI@delphi.com
Subject:      Junkyard Buses

Today I visited an abandoned auto junkyard. This dump had been inactive since the mid-seventies. Only one car had been added to the collection since then - a 1972 Super Beetle. The dump was composed mostly of 1940s to 1960s BIG American cars, but there were a number of VWs, including three old Buses.

These crates were all shot to hell, sunk up to their axles, rusted, weeds and shrubs growing out of the engine compartment, and very sad looking. Yet these Buses were to only 'vintage' Buses that I've ever crawled around in. It seemed like people armed with shotguns shot the hell out of the micorbuses more than the rest of the cars there. I got some tail light lenses and tail light assemblies off of a '61, and the yellow front turn signal lense off of another early 60's model, along with assorted knobs. It was fun to sit in one and imagine that this Bus was once tooling down a road. Down shift up that hill, put-put-put-put.....

I found a big piece of twisted metal. It was an old deluxe sunroof microbus that looked like someone stepped on it and kicked it around some. I did

not even recognize at first that it was a microbus, so severely mangled it was. I could not tell what year it was, but it once had a small rear window on a big rear door. It was the first time I had ever examined an old deluxe sunroof microbus. Over here in upstate New York, they are seldom seen. You guys 'n gals in California (and Vancouver?) are lucky.

Wolf (hailing you from rust heaven)