Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 94 20:15:23 -0400
From:         drahzal@c1apple.convex.com (Matthew Drahzal)
Subject:      *MY* 82 Diesel!

Report on First Solo "Cross Country" in Vanagon:

Well I did it; I finally picked-up the '82 Diesel Vanagon which I have owned for a few months (Joel has it on the list already). It was on Long Island, and I live in way-Upstate, NY. 300 Miles of Driving Fun. Please keep in mind that I had never driven a Vanagon before, ever.

1) Got stuck in Rush Hour traffic. Couldn't find the air-conditioning.

2) Discovered the concept of Binary Accelerator - My foot was either pushing pedal to the floor, or was on the brake. Nothing in between.

3) Cruised much faster than anticipated. Cruised at 110 Km/hr for a while.

4) Talk about bug-smasher windshield. Jeez, I actually *ducked* when one bug came flying at me.

5) If you lean way over the steering wheel, you can pretend you are on the bow of a power-boat, with the engine in the way-back.

6) It got cold, so I tried to turn on the heat. Four levers? HAD TO READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!.

Question: Should the air which comes out of the rear-passenger ceiling vents be warm? I had tons of airflow of cold air, no matter what I tried I couldn't get rear heat. The front heat was fine though.

7) Only burned 3/4's of a tank on the 300 mile trip. :-)

8) I enjoyed looking down on the "little people" in their Caravans and Villagers!! Such tiny Lilluputians they are.

9) I began to wonder how I ever lived without it.

Hooked,

Matthew drahzal@convex.com Chittenango "Boyhood home of L. Frank Baum", NY