Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 94 16:13:27 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: How to get to stuff on camper luggage rack?

On Thu, 26 May 94 16:12:19 CDT Dyer Lytle said: >Now a new question. How do you camper owners get up to your luggage >rack on top of the bus/vanagon? I was putting some stuff up there >last night and used a step stool but I don't really want to haul >the step stool around. I can get to the back of the rack by standing >on the bumper and I can get to the front by popping the top and >unziping the big rear-facing window but the sides are a problem. >Has anyone added steps or a ladder to make this easier? Any other >suggestions?

well, one thing i cut out of a magazine and 'one of these days' i'm gonna make, is a folding step that 'hooks' over the top of the tire, like so:

oxxxxxxxxo where o are little one-way hinge xTTTTTTTTx joints (only so the xTTTTTTTTx will fold into a smaller xTTTTTTTToxxxxxx pile) xTTTTTTTT and xxxx is the square 1" TTTTTTTTh channel-iron that the TTTTTTTThh thing is made of. TTTTTTTThh TTTT is the tire, and hhh is ... rest of tire deleted the hubcap.

the trick seems to be to make two of these ?-shaped things, one for each side of the tire, and then connect/weld them together by straight pieces. the 'step' could be made from whatever you want ... steel, wood, etc. and since the outer part (with the step on it) only touches the rubber of the tire, you don't have any scratching of paint, either on the car or on the wheel. it would give you a 'step' almost as high as the tire itself, and if you make it yourself, you can adjust it to fit your legs. :)

looking at it from the side of the bus, it would look (?) something like this:

xTTTTTTTTTx where x is the stuff its made of, and ---- is TxTTTTTTTTTxT the step part. TTTT is the tire, and hhhh is TTx---------xTT the hubcap again. TTTTTTThhhTTTTTTT TTTTThhhhhhhTTTTT TTTTThhhhhhhTTTTT without the tire, it looks like this:

oxxxxxxxxxxo and, if you built it right, it would x x x x fold up into something like this x x x x (from the side): x x x x x x x oxxxxxxxx oxxxxxxxxxxx oxxxxxxxxxo x-------x x oxxxxxxxxxo x x x x-------x x x x x x x ------x x x or maybe flatter, if you x x x-------x x x are real good at this stuff. oxxxxxxxxx

yeah, i know ... it's pretty hard to figure out from my drawing. there are commercial versions available from those catalogs you get in the mail (you know, the ones with way-over-priced junk), but the cheapest price i've seen is about $50. which seems kinda high to me.

one of these days ... :) joel