Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 1994 16:04:35 -0800
From:         rickgo@halcyon.halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      81 Vanagon with ASI Conversion?

I was just looking at an 81 Vanagon with a non-Westphalia camper conversion. This is from a now-defunct company named Automotive Services Inc out of Vancouver, WA. It's a straight-up pop top, electrically-powered cooler (not a true refrig), and a sink with a fairly large counter. Cabinet space runs down both sides of the van, although the seat/bed is about the same width as a Westphalia. Interestingly enough, as I was talking to the owner, another one of these drove by. I'm considering buying this van, because it seems strong mechanically (no compression check yet though) and the body is clean, but I have a few doubts, mostly centered around this ASI conversion instead of a WestPhalia: - the rubber seal around the poptop is very worn. Any hopes of getting a replacement? Does anyone handle these ASI conversions anymore or know if parts are available? - this electric "cooler" seems pretty useless. The owner claimed it would only get to 50F, and that after awhile. And it's large. How hard would it be to replace? What about conversion to propane? - the engine, although seemed to drive strong, has 86K miles on it. Original engine. What's the odds of it failing soon? - the heater fan is broke. Any idea how bad this is to repair?

Any idea what one of these is worth? Any other particular areas to watch out for? And of course, what about this ASI company? Any information that would help me reach a decision soon would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

Rick Gordon rickgo@halcyon.com